Boat Trailer Safety and Launching Tips
When towing a boat, it is important to secure the boat before driving away. Investing in the correct winch to pull the boat onto the trailer is important. There are lots of options – powered or manual.
Are you new to boating? If so, consider some practice at your ramp – or any ramp to improve your backing. Rolling down both lanes of a dual lane ramp isn’t a good idea.
Trailer thefts from boat ramp car parks are common. Make sure your is secured – we have put this guide together for security devices.
AT THE RAMP
- Don’t forget to check the bungs are in!
- If you have a SUV consider popping the back for better visibility when you back down.
- Don’t forget to remove the rear strop before backing down.
- Beware of tides and know where the end of the ramp is.
- Handbrakes aren’t enough – your car needs to be in gear too when parked for launching
- Put the chain on when driving up the ramp.
- Don’t forget the safety flag!
In this guide, we will cover the basic trailer towing rules and some trailer towing tips.
LIGHT MOTOR VEHICLES
- On a learner or restricted car licence (Class 1) you can tow a trailer but the combined weight of your vehicle, the trailer and its load must not exceed 4500kg.
- On a full licence the combined weight of your vehicle, the trailer and its load must not exceed 6000kg.
SAFE TOWING GUIDELINES
- Refer to the car manufacturers recommendations before towing a trailer, in particular the weight limits recommended.
- Refer to the loading limits for the tow bar you are using.
- Be aware that overloading and uneven loading of car trailers can seriously affect a car’s handling. Additional gear you stow for holidays etc should be over or just forward of the axel(s).
- You must be able to see behind that old trailer or vehicle. if you can see behind with your rearview mirrors, you may need to fit a special mirror.
ArchiveJanuary 2021 (4) December 2020 (3) November 2020 (7) October 2020 (2) July 2020 (1) April 2020 (1) September 2019 (1) August 2019 (1) July 2019 (1) June 2019 (2) February 2019 (3) January 2019 (1) December 2018 (2) October 2018 (2) July 2018 (1) June 2018 (2) May 2018 (2) April 2018 (1) March 2018 (2) February 2018 (1) January 2018 (1) December 2017 (1) October 2017 (1) September 2017 (2) August 2017 (1)
Other articles you might be interested in
Before trying to cross the bar of any harbour, it is recommended to seek for local advice, have knowledge about the area and ask an experienced skipper to accompany you on your travel.
Engine oil contamination causes numerous equipment failures. Here are eight remedies that may help solve common oil contamination problems.
How much does boat insurance cost? How much you’ll pay to insure your boat depends on a few important factors. The most significant ones are: What type of boat it is: for example, trailer boat, racing yacht, luxury launch...
What if I have an older boat? Having a boat more than 20 years old doesn’t mean you can’t get boat insurance, or that it will be expensive. It just means we are likely to require a boatbuilders’ report or more compreh...