Our top boating and sailing movies
Our top boating and sailing movies
With colder weather on the way, you might have more time to spend on the sofa rather than on the water. So to keep you going we've selected our top boating and sailing movies. Action, drama, adventure, edge-of-the-seat scary stuff, romance…it’s all there on our list!
Image credit: Paris Plages
- Australia and New Zealand join forces for the movie Dead Calm. If you rate the acting prowess of Nicole Kidman and Sam Neil and don’t mind a good thriller, then take a seat. These famous Aussie and Kiwi actors were then spring chickens, as this movie came out in 1989. If your memory needs a jog, it’s about John Ingram and his wife Rae who are spending some time isolated at sea after a tragedy. Idyllic days are disturbed when they come across a stranger who has abandoned a sinking ship.
- Released in 1996 is the adventure/drama White Squall. Featuring Jeff Bridges, Caroline Goodall and John Savage in lead roles, this movie is an action-packed drama about teenage boys discovering discipline and comradery on an ill-fated sailing voyage.
- Commercial fishermen may know plenty about their own hunting ground but that doesn’t necessarily mean the ocean doesn’t hold surprises. In The Perfect Storm starring George Clooney, an unusually intense storm pattern catches some commercial fishermen unaware and puts them in mortal danger.
- And now for one offering some romance (and adventure too). It’s topical as it’s set during an America’s Cup series of yachting races (well, we say topical as we’re not going to let the latest America’s Cup result fade in our memories any time soon, are we?). Introducing… Wind. Wind features Matthew Modine, Jennifer Grey and Cliff Robertson and is based on the 1987 America’s Cup race. It's plot features Will Parker, played by Matthew Modine, losing the America’s Cup to the Australians and forming his own syndicate to win it back.
- And, finally, there’s Adrift. This 2018 movie is a true story of survival, as a young couple's chance encounter leads them first to love, and then on the adventure of a lifetime as they face one of the most catastrophic hurricanes in recorded history. Starring Shailene Woodley and Sam Claflin as avid sailors, this movie has been described as an “unforgettable story about the resilience of the human spirit and the transcendent power of love”.
Looking for the right cover on the water in New Zealand in 2021?
No matter what your plans are on the water in 2021, Mariner Insurance is here to support you. We have been offering Kiwis specialist marine insurance in New Zealand for over a decade with cover for all types of boats and watercraft. Just talk to us about what you’re doing on the water, and we can tailor one of our insurance policies to fit.
ArchiveJune 2021 (4) May 2021 (4) April 2021 (5) March 2021 (5) February 2021 (5) January 2021 (4) December 2020 (3) November 2020 (7) October 2020 (2) July 2020 (1) April 2020 (1) September 2019 (1) July 2019 (1) June 2019 (1) February 2019 (3) January 2019 (1) December 2018 (2) October 2018 (2) July 2018 (1) June 2018 (1) May 2018 (2) March 2018 (2) February 2018 (1) January 2018 (1) December 2017 (1) October 2017 (1) September 2017 (1) August 2017 (1)
Other articles you might be interested in
The good news is, boat insurance in New Zealand is a lot cheaper than insuring a car! How much you’ll pay to insure your boat depends on a few important factors.
Do you need boat insurance for winter? The truth is, a lot of things can happen to your boat even if it is in storage for the winter. We take a look at what.
Launching situations may depend on each boat ramp and with different tide and water levels. Launching must progress slowly until you are familiar with the water and ramp levels. You should adapt the following steps for your s...
We’ve done some research and built an ultimate list of fishing apps for you. Use this guide to build the perfect combination of apps to help you catch more fish.